[Prev][Next][Index]

Dr.Dish Q&A Jan.13,1998

Dr.Dish Q & A    Jan. 13, 1998 (Engl./Germ.)

(to cancel this service, please do it in the same way you ordered this
service. I am not able to do this for you)
If your question is confidential, please state this and we will not
mention your name and location. This Q&A-service is free of charge, with
the exception of commercial inquiries.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

THAICOM
Where can we get the full details about Thaicom ?
Moon

Dr.Dish:
Here are some short details on the THAICOMs:
THAICOM-1: 120 degree east
THAICOM-3   78.5 degree east
This two satellites are identical. The platform is the lighter version
of the well known Hughes-376. The satellite has 12 c-band transponders
(two of them are spare txp.) with a bandwidth of 36 MHz. 3
ku-band-transponders (one is used as spare) deliver 47 watts (travelling
tube) and come with 54 MHz bandwidth.

THAICOM-3: 78.5 degree east
This version uses the platform of the spacebus 3000A and offers in
c-band 7 high-power transponders for semi global coverage (35 dbW) and
18 medium power transponders (37.3 dbW) for regional beams.
Thailand is served by 7 (up to 11) ku-band transponders (55 dbW). Other
regions are reached by 3 to 7 steerable beams (50.7 dbW).
For up-to-date channel information, please consult: TELE-satellite
International or <http://www.satcodx.com> and for more technical
details: <http://www.mlesat.com>.

POWER-VU IN ZIMBABWE
 Please advise what powervu transmissions are available over Zimbabwe
especiallt the in the clear signals.
What are the capablities of the S.A.PowerVu decoders to pick up F.T.A.
signals without especially being keyed to pick up an encrypted signal.
Please help as Scientific Atlanta may be able to offer to me a PowerVu
Unit in exchange for a BMac E9700 decoder but they want to know what
station that I want to pick up.
The only PowerVu station that I know of is AFRTS,is there others.
SJ Diarmid, Zimbabwe

Dr.Dish:
To my knowledge no FTA-service in PowerVu is available in Zimbabwe. Only
AFRTS and the ORBIT-package can be received. One is closed to the public
(AFRTS). You would need a written permission from AFRTS in order to
obtain the proper receiver from Scientific Atlanta. ORBIT is a pay-tv
package, containig arabic and US-programs. The costs for the package
goes from US$ 50,- up to $US 250,- per months.
For further information see the frequency charts of TELE-satellite
International

SCPC I
Hello Dr. Dish,
please help. I am trying to receive telecommunications on scpc on
Arabsat 2A. what equipment do I need and what size dish is best? I am
located in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. Thank you.
SriBawa

Dr.Dish:
You need a suitable scpc-receiver. This could be the US-made Universal
Radio SCPC-100 or the SATSCAN. Disadvantages: one has only one (for
satcom-reception unsuitable) bandwidth, the other one is very difficult
to handle, because this unit is still working in a 24 transponder rythm.
This means, you have to count first on which of this "transonders" your
frequency to find and make some calculations for the fine tuning. Better
would be a wide-band radio receiver, like the AOR5000 or ICOM 8500.
Since all relevant scpc-signals are in the c-band, your dish should be
around 180cm. In your aerea a smaller dish would do also the job, but
scpc-signals are often much weaker then others. Also you could use the
dish  for other satellite systems.
How it works: Your normal satellite receiver still controls the dish
(choice of satellite and polarization). The coaxial-cable from the
c-band lnb goes to a splitter (with power-pass from the satellite
receiver and power-block to the scpc-receiver. Both receivers are
connected to the proper ports of the splitter. To search for
scpc-signals just tune the scpc-receiver slowly between 950 and 1450 MHz
on both polarizations in FM narrow and wide.

SCPC II
Your article on inmarsat was very interesting and has made me pursue an
'L'-band antena. However I would like to know what the term 'SCPC' means

for reception.
Have you more technical details for cenversion of 'Amstrad' tuner as in
your article on 12/97.
many thanks. D.Lynch/Slovakia

Dr.Dish:
SCPC means Single Channel Per Carrier. Unlike  other audio-signals on
satellite, this transmission is not enbedded into the offset of a
video-channel. A scpc-channel is completly independend and uses only a
fracture of bandwidth, compared with a normal a/v-signal using a
transponder or the half of it. The uplink is also much more cost-saving
and can be done with low-cost hardware. This is the reason for some
unwanted (pirates) signals in scpc on some satellites. In the past a
secret-service from one country used the satellite from a enemy-country
to transfer digital messages, because they did not have a own
satellite..
I did not convert a AMSTRAD-receiver, but used the old tuner of this
receiver to exchange the existing tuner in a US-made scpc-receiver. The
scpc-receiver covered the spectrum up to 1450 MHz and I wanted to use
this receiver as a cheap INMARSAT-device (1500 to 1600 MHz).

SPANISH RADIO
Auf Astra 1E 19'2 E ist auf der Frequenz 11'973 V unter weiteren auch
16 Stk. Radio Programme. Da ich gerne die Programme Cadena SER und
 Cadena Dial hoere, moechte ich das entsprechende Empfangsgeraet
erwerben.
 Leider weiss ich nicht genau, wer so eines verkauft, bzw. welche Typen
 auf dem Markt fuer diese Digitalen Radio Programme taugen. Ich bin mir
 nicht  sicher  ob dies dasselbe Verfahren wie ADR ist ?
 Unklar ist auch, ob diese Radioprogramme mit einem entsprechenden
 Decoder kostenlos empfangen werden koennen.
Dino Bollardini
(Dino is asking how to receive the spanish digital radios on ASTRA and
which receiver could the job)

Dr.Dish:
Nearly all MPEG-DVB receivers will handle this broadcasts. Some
receivers need the suitable PID-codes. Other will do the job
automatically. I just tested the ability to receive this radio-stations
with the following receivers: Nokia 9200/9600, d-box from Germany, Lemon
Volksbox (analogue/digital tv and radio) and Strong SRT4000. Without any
problems. At this moment the service is free to air, but no one can say
if this will be for ever.

SCPC III
Dear Dr. Dish:
We have a universal scpc 100 audio receiver, a 6.8 meters diameter dish
weŽre located in bogota
colombia, sur america.  With this we've tried to receive some signals
without results.  What's wrong with that?
Which  satellite' signals (including asia, europe, america and
africa) could we receive?
Radio Universidad, Bogota/Columbia

Dr.Dish:
With this large dish you should be able to receive some of the
scpc-signals from US-satellites in the c-band. Try on Spacenet 3R (83
degr. west) 1437.200/1435.00 and 1433.400 MHz, used by the radio service
of AP. With some luck you could get some signals on the vertical beam in
c-band from Galaxy 4 on 99 degree west.
On your own Southamerican-satellites, like Brazilsat and Solidaridad you
will find a lot of telecommunication (phones, business-nets and
military) in scpc. Search very carefully in narrow bandwidth. I know,
searching with the Universal 100 is not fun at all. You will need some
time to get used to this funny kind of receiver. Universal-Radio still
produces purely national receivers, coming from the stone-age of
satellite communication, because no one uses this days receivers with
fixed transponders. All we need, is a receiver freely tuneable between
900 and 2150 MHz (for international use in connection with ku-band) and
filters (3, 5, 10, 15, 30, 90 and 150 kHz). For Africa-reception try the
INTELSATs to your east-side (53 and 50 degree west).

8700 / D-BOX
Ich habHallo, Dr. Dish,
besitze eine Echostar Lt 87oo habe ein Quadro-LNB mit Ozillatorfrequenz
10750 und möchte dies mit einer 1,20 cm Anlage mit der d-box betreiben.
Alle Versuche schlugen bis jetzt fehl. Wir haben uns schon gedacht, das
wir ein Quadro mit 10.6 Ozillatorfrequenz haben müssen, der über einen
Polarizer mit dem Echostar gesteuert wird. Vorher hatte ich die
Mediabox, da funktionierte es einwandfrei.
Wir sind für jeden Tip dankbar, denn dann kann ich auch die anderen
Satelliten ansteuern.

Dr.Dish:
Eigentlich sollte es kein Problem sein. Meine eigene Konfiguration sieht
ähnlich aus. Allerdings wird hier eine d-box der ersten Stunde genutzt.
Spaetere Tuner waren eingangsempfindlicher und ein 120cm-Spiegel
ueberforderte schon mal die AGC. Probeweise sollte mal ein Satslope oder
ein aehnliches Ggeraet (Global und Johanson) zwischengeschaltet werden.
In den meisten Faellen ist das eine erfolgversprechende Methode. Hier
wird das gesamte ZF-Band auf einen Level gebracht, d.h. starke Signale
gedaempft und schwache Signale etwas angehoben.

PHILIPS IRD SOFTWARE
Hallo Dr. Dish,
zunächst mal meinen Dank an Sie und Ihr ganzes Team für die TS,
DrDish@tv und und und ... . Durch Sie habe ich erfahren, dass ich nicht
wie teilweise in meiner Familie angenommen leicht bescheuert bin, weil
ich ständig an Tunern und Antennen drehte und schon als Kind ausflippte,

wenn ich durch Überreichweiten im tiefsten Ostwestfalen Bayern 3 oder
polnisches Fernsehen sehen konnte, sondern dass man diese Symptome
DXer-Fieber nennt.
Hier mein aktuelles Problem :
Bei der Premiere-Dekodertausch-Aktion wurde meine Phillips Mediabox
bislang übersehen. Ich hatte Ende September eine Mitteilung vom
Hermes-Versandservice im Kasten, dass die Box am nächsten Tag geholt
würde. Wurde sie aber nicht. Auf Anruf am nächsten Tag sagte der
Hermes-Mann, er wüßte nichts davon, dass er mich am Tag vorher nicht
angetroffen habe, sonst müsse er ja auch in seinen Unterlagen diese
Miteilung haben. Er hat sich seitdem auch nicht wieder gemeldet und ich
werde den Teufel tun und irgendetwas unternehmen ... . Und so habe ich
die Mediabox wieder ausgepackt und angeschlossen.
In der TS stand jetzt, die MediaBox sei mit anderer Software sogar
SCPC-tauglich. Können Sie mir sagen, wie ich an eine Software komme, die

SCPC und Videotext kann, Sie haben doch gute Kontakte in alle Welt.
N.N.
(The writer got a Mediamaster (german pay-tv version ofe the
Philips-IRD) and is looking for Philips-Software to make this receiver
universal (MCPC and SCPC)

Dr.Dish:
The Mediamaster was been special made for a german pay-tv provider. The
hardware is identical with different international versions of the
Philips-IRD. Even some versions cope with SCPC-signals
(Far-East-version). to upgrade this receiver and some more, it would be
nice to get some feedback from outside, because we got no solutions. All
reactions will be passed on to the writer of this e-mail.

STICK ANTENNA
 Sie haben in einer frueheren Sendung eine Sat-Antenne vorgestellt, die
nicht rund bzw. nicht quadratisch war. Diese Antenne war eine Lange
Stange. Damals konnte man mit ihr nur Sat-Radios empfangen ! Meine Frage
nun, gibt es diese Antenne schon fuer Sat-TV Empfang ? Wissen Sie wo man
diese Antenne, erwerben kann bzw.
wie teuer sie ist ?
Fuer eine schnelle Antwort wuerd ich mich freuen.
 Maik Toplep
(Maik is asking for a stick-antenna used in the past for sat-radio
reception, introduced years ago in TELE-satellite International and he
wants to use this kind of antenna for sat-tv recpetion. This antenna was
no success at all, since the gain was been too low and the beam-width
was been too large.)

Dr.Dish:
Diese Antenne war fuer den reinen Sat-Radio-Empfang gedacht.
Verstaerkung und Oeffnungswinkel entsprechen nicht mehr den heutigen
Anforderungen. Und so verschwand diese Antenne wieder vom Markt. Fuer
den Sat-TV Empfang war  sie nicht geeignet.

GALAXIS FTA-1
We just got the new Galaxis FTA-receiver and cant find the public-tv
from Germany anymore. We Žknow, the frequency of this services changed
recently, but how to teach the FTA-1 to find this channels back?
J.Laro, Danmark

Dr.Dish:
Here are the procedure you have to follow:
Press MENU, press 4, .enter the PIN (1111) and press OK
Press 5 and then 1. Open with OK the Frequency-Input
Enter the new frequency 12722 and press OK
Press 2 and enter the data-rate (22000) and press OK
Press 4 and press OK two times: the FEC 5/6 appears
Press 8 and OK: the search routine is looking for the signal
The display of the FTA-1 shows 0,1,2 ...
You are ready to watch again the german channels if the receiver show
"1" and on the screen appears the channel EINS EXTRA.

SPACE SIGNALS
LUNAR PROSPECTOR reached by now the moon-orbit. Do you know any
frequency on which one can follow this spacecraft?
Bettina de Jong, Amstelveen/NL

Dr.Dish:
If you got the right hardware, here are the T&T-frequency of the Lunar
Prospector: 2273,00 MHz. If you get some signals, please let me know.

ORBIT PREDICTIONS
Wie kann man die Lebensdauer eines umlaufenden Satelliten berechnen und
einige Voraussagen machen, wie er sich im Laufe der Zeit im Orbit
verhaelt, d.h. wann mit einem Wiedereintritt in die Atmosphaere zu
rechnen ist. Fuer eine Abschlussarbeit, die sich mit den Mikrosats
beschaeftigt, benoetige ich diese Informationen.
F.Danjab, TU-Berlin
(F.Danjab is looking for some software, able to calculate the lifetime
of a satellite, especially for Microsats, in order to predict the
re-entry into the atmosphere)

Dr.Dish:
STK Pro from Analytical Graphics, Inc. is a satcom-software for Unix and
PC and comes with a lot of add-ons. In your case it would be the
Lifetime-Module. This long-term predictor supports mission design by
using the data of the satellites mass, area and dragcoefficient. As a
University you should try to get the STK 4.0 for free, but certainly you
must pay for the add-ons and the handbooks. To simulate the coverage and
for scientifc satellites to see the ground, high resolutions maps (30
meters!) are offered with the add on AAM. For further information,.
please consult: http://www.stk.com and read the story in TSI, issue
11-12/97.

For few days I own a digital receiver from Echostar (9800) and  now I
lost the german channels (ARD, ZDF and all third.programs). I tried to
tune in to the new frequencies on Astra 1G, but without any success. My
dealer says: " just reead the manual. You did something wrong". Now i
feel like a idiot! What could be wrong?
H. Tilmann/Switzerland

Dr.Dish:
Your are not an idiot and you did everything right. Your dealer should
know ibetter. On this high frequencies the 9800 has some trouble and the
people in Almelo is very busy to find a solution. After the problem is
solved, Echostar will pass on the information to the dealers and the
press and we will let you know immedatly.

REMARKS: Please do not ask questions about Pay-TV-problems, illegal
cards and always give so much information on the situation as possible.
Questions like: "I want to see satellite tv" are answered with "me too".

Thanks!

--
Christian Mass (Dr.Dish)
Senior-Editor of TELE-satellite International

[Other mailing lists|Sponsored by TELE-satellit]