[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-Special (2) "PID-Codes" Engl.

PIDs & Co. ..... how to increase your viewing options

Each digital channel has a PID for video and audio.  These PIDs enable the
d-box to identify the individual signals in a package and to allocate them
to the correct broadcaster.

The PIDs also enable the d-box to distinguish between SCPC signals which are
close together.  Normally, the PIDs are automatically read and allocated to
the corresponding channel when the unit is carrying out a channel search.

With some packages, however, this is strangely not the case. Examples are
AB-Sat channels and the Viacom Multipackage, both at 13 degrees East.
Although the IDs of these channels are read in, the d-box will inform you
that the signals being sent are coded.

This is incorrect.

That's why I've given a step-by-step explanation below of the procedure
which you should follow for receiving these channels.

Let's try to receive the uncoded Viacom package.

1.Go to the internal menu (Radio + 99 + Radio + Menu)
2.Press TV
3.Press 1
4.Press down arrow once, 'Fact 1' will appear in the d-box display. This is
a channel or a setting which is not needed for the box to operate, so any
changes made here should be harmless
5.Return to the Setting menu using the menu key
6.Go to menu option '8', where you will now see 'Select frequency integer?
960.0000 MHz'.
7.Enter '11238' - 'OK' - 'OK'
8.Press up arrow, you will see 'Select Symbol Rate integer 35,000 MHz?'.
9.Enter '27' - 'OK' - '5' - 'OK'
10.Press up arrow, you will see 'Select Viterby code rate? 2/3'
11.Enter '4' - 'OK'
12.Press up arrow three times, you will see 'Select to save parameters?'
13.Press 'OK'

So far we have done the following: Previously, the values for a package with
the data 10710 MHz, 35,000 MS/sec and FEC 2/3 were saved here.

We changed these data to the package values for the Viacom package on
EUTELSAT II-F1 (11,238, 27,500 Ms/sec and FEC 3/4).

This frequency can be entered as it is, the d-box automatically calculates
the correct internal frequency (i.e. minus the LOF).

Finally, the data were saved at channel number 23 in the radio section
(under the identification 'Fact 1').

Now the polarisation needs to be changed from horizontal to vertical and the
package must also be saved. To do this, follow the instructions below:

2.Call up menu option '6'
3.Press the up arrow eight times. The message 'Select LNB power' will appear
4.Enter '1' for vertical and then press 'OK' (a '2' would mean horizontal)
5.Press the left arrow to return to the main menu
6.Press '8' and then press the down arrow once. The message 'select to save
parameters' will appear
7.Press 'OK', the polarisation will now be saved
8.Press 'TV' key
9.Press right arrow twice
10.You should receive 'Bloomberg TV' with sound

We have now changed the values to those of the Viacom package, including the
correct polarisation and have stored everything.

Using the right arrow key we can now select the only normally receivable
transmission. To receive the other channels we will have to alter the PIDs
for sound and picture. This is carried out as follows:

1. Press the menu button. The main menu re-appears
2. Press the '1' key to call up the PID menu
3. Press button '2' to choose to alter the video PID.
4. Enter '4121' and press 'OK'. Bloomberg TV should have been replaced with
a mute VH1.
5. Press the left arrow key and enter '3' to select the audio PID.
6. Enter '4122' and 'OK' and you should here the accompanying sound.

In the same manner it is possible to tune in to all the uncoded
transmissions in the Viacom package by entering the correct PIDs. However,
as yet I've not found a way to store the corresponding PIDs to allow them to
be called up by the d-Box in the normal way.
An important part of the PID is the ability to enter letters:

A = Double up arrow
C = Help
D = Mark
E = -
F = +

And so all channels in the Viacom package that aren't encoded can be
watched. From here we move on to the ABSat packages.

1. Press the left arrow key until the main menu appears.
2. Call up menu option 6 and select horizontal polarisation (8 up arrows,
'2' and 'OK'). The Viacom picture should stay.
4. Call up menu option 8 and enter the frequency of the lower AB-Sat
package: 11378 and 'OK' twice.
5. Back again to the main menu with the arrow keys and use '1' to select the
PID menu. This time enter '2' and the PID for Cine Palace, '40A2', followed
by 'OK'. This brings up AB cartoons but without sound.
6. Use the left arrow and then press '3'.
7. Set the audio PID to '4058' (+ 'OK') and the matching sound carrier
should be heard.*
8. The other audio and video PIDs can be entered in the same way.

*Note: Sometimes this is not the case with the sound. A little playing
around usually does the trick in these cases. If not the best course of
action is to quit the menu and then call it back up again.

To get hold of the second ABSat packet the frequency in menu option 8  has
to be altered to read 12.521 GHz and the 22 kHz tone switched on using menu
option 6, seven up arrows and '1' + 'OK'.

*Note: In the last Days the Provider ABSat have encodet the most Channels
on Package so you can see only the AbSat1, PromoChannel and Animoux...

I hope I've been able to pass on a little bit of interesting info. One last
tip:
Feeds must be saved by overwriting where other feeds were previously stored
(e.g. WTN or APTV). This is only the case if you call up the feed and then
access the installers menu, select the option "tuner settings" and activate
the radio menu. All the alterations now refer to the previously called up
feed.

IMPORTANT: Please no go in the Menu SERVICE SETTINGS ! This Change will
crashed your 22khz on the d-Box !!

For those that want to return everything to how it was, then the option
'Load default ts' is found in the Config menu. Choosing fact1 will erase all
the alterations.

It is likely that all of the channels in the ABSat package will eventually
become encrypted as they are marketed as subscription television.

In conclusion here are a list of the important PIDs for test purposes.

[Other mailing list archives]