[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Confusion over Mascom DBOX

At 23:32 29.04.1997 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello,
>
>I subscr. to Tele Satellit magazine in the UK.  To add to the barrage
>of
>questions you must get about digital boxes I admit to being a bit
>confused
>on software variants of the original Nokia Box.
>
>Many in the UK sell the 9500 Nokia which I understand suffers the
>SCPC overwrite problem.  Also a few sell some "Bentley-Walker" hacks
>of the Nokia software.
>
>>From what I read in TS, the Mascom is the one to go for, yet a visit to
>the
>Macom www site reveals a box labelled Nokia 9200!!  When asked
>Mascom tell me this is a 9500 unit which was re-named for legal reasons
>and it *is* the unit you reviewed in TS 1-2 1997 with no CAM, but it can
>
>take one. In the UK the 9200 is free to air unit only and *cannot take*
>a CAM as I understand.
>
>Sorry to ramble but my question is:
>
>Can I purchase a unit from Germany which
>* handles and stores SCPC properly
>* comes with a IRDETO cam
>* possibly enables you to store PIDs
>
>Yes like most of us I want everything there is!!!!
>
>Your help would be much appreciated.  Dealers here look totally
>amused when I ask them to help!
>
>Gary

Dr.Dish:
This first of the new Mascom/Nokia 9200 are tested. Still we found some
difficulties to store scpc-signals on different memory-places. The final
software for this receiver is expected in week 20 and should have major
changes, making it easy to store a package or scpc-signal in a given
memory-channel. Also we expect much easier handling of A/V-PIDs and bandwidth.
The 9200 comes without CAM, but inserting one is easy. A FTA-receiver
usually do not need the CAM, but if you subscribe to a package or a free
MCPC is asking for the module, it is handy to have one and CAM´s are offered
on a small parallel-market.
The new software will be tested immedatly after release and results are
published in TELE-satellite International and shown in drdish@tv. I would
advice to wait for week 20 or so and then contact Mascom again.