[Prev][Next][Index]

VTR Galaxy Chile to offer DIRECTV

VTR Galaxy Chile  to offer DIRECTV

DALLAS, TX, 96/12/04 (SJI Newswire) --Consumers in Chile are one step
closer to receiving the DIRECTV service.  The office of the Subsecretary of
Telecommunications of the Transportation and Telecommunications Ministry
recently awarded VTR Galaxy Chile, S.A., Galaxy Latin America's local
operating company in Chile, a license to receive and distribute the DIRECTV
signal in Ku-band.  VTR Galaxy Chile, S.A. is a subsidiary of VTR and
United International Holdings.

The license will allow DIRECTV to be the first digital direct-to-home
entertainment service to be offered in Chile.  Consumers should expect the
arrival of DIRECTV in the first quarter of 1997.  The service will offer
close to 100 channels of entertainment -- movies, sports and special events
from the United States, Europe, Asia and Latin America.

"This license is the green light we needed to proceed in Chile," said Jose
Antonio Rios, president and CEO of Galaxy Latin America (GLA), "For
GLA,Chile is one of our most important markets, and we're eager to start
delivering this exciting new service."

VTR is the partnership of Luksic and Southwestern Bell Corporation.

(c)Satellite Journal Itl. 1996. All rights reserved.

[Other mailing lists]