[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-ND, 10.9.97

Sat-ND, 10.9.1997 – A shadow hunting shadows

This service is provided free of charge for personal use. It may be used and redistributed for non-commercial purposes only, provided the following notice is included:
© Copyright 1997 by Sat-ND
Please send contributions and comments regarding Sat-ND to Peter C. Klanowski, email: pck@LyNet.De

Sat-ND is sponsored by TELE-satellite International

>>> How to unsubscribe <<<

Today's Headlines

SATELLITES
BT to push U.S. business
Superbird or JCSAT?
BUSINESS
Finally: it's Hughes
Got a spare computer?
CHANNELS
Qatar follows France on Arabsat
Channel 5's just fine, really
TV Globo to hit Portugal
DIGITAL
Brave New World
Kuwait to offer global satellite Internet access
Nobody wants PrimeStar
RUPERTWATCH
A reader's comment
News Corp issues annual report
FEEDBACK
HTML V/S ASCII

SATELLITES

BT to push U.S. business

BT North America Inc, British Telecommunications' U.S. unit, plans to triple its satellite-generated revenues within three years.
BT North America already is one of the dominant satellite services providers in other parts of the world. Officials said the company would push onto the U.S. market, competing mainly against Comsat, the U.S. Intelsat signatory, that currently is one of the dominant satellite services provider in the United States.
Worldwide, the BT North America unit generates annual revenues of about US$160 million through its network of four geostationary satellites and three land-based stations. Over the next three years, BT aims to begin generating US$20 to US$25 million per year in satellite revenues from the United States.
http://www.bt.com/
http://www.bt.co.uk/
Top

Superbird or JCSAT?

Two Japanese companies have applied to the country's Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications to launch new satellites in 2000 – but only one will succeed.
Both projects by Space Communications Corp. and Japan Satellite Systems Inc include the use of the orbital slot at 110 degrees East. According to international regulation, Japan may place just one spacecraft there. So, the government will have to choose between Superbird D, which would be Space Communication's fourth satellite, or Japan Satellite Systems' seventh bird, JCSAT 7.
Both systems are estimated to cost ¥20 to 30 billion. They are expected to carry Internet traffic and provide telecom services in Asia.
http://www.superbird.co.jp/
http://www.jcsat.co.jp/ [The site seems to exist but at this time of day, the Internet is so congested I couldn't get trough to almost any site even though I tried several Internet Access Providers. Sigh. What a stupid bloody invention that Internet is.]
Top

BUSINESS

Finally: it's Hughes

Hughes Electronics of the United States has finally been awarded the US$1.2-billion to supply, launch and operate the first Arab telephone satellite system.
"The negotiations are over. We have officially awarded the contract to Hughes," an official of the Thuraya Satellite Telecommunication Company (TSTC) said.
Hughes won the contract under competition from France's Aerospatiale and another US rival, Lockheed Martin. France's Alcatel was also in the running but excluded for technical reasons early this year.
Hughes had been named the winner for the contract on August 27, however TSTC held further negotiations with Hughes to improve the terms.
"We arrived with a good deal that meets our business plans spread over 12 years. The satellite will be designed in such a way that it may even do 15 years," Yousuf al-Sayed, project manager for Abu Dhabi-based TSTC said. He said the contract was "for the manufacture of two satellites, one delivered in orbit and one in ground storage."
[So, now we finally know everything about Thuraya – except what it means. Explanations offered by various sources range from "chandelier" to the star cluster Taurus, also known as the Pleiades. The most probable explanation is that this star constellation is know as "chandelier" in Arab countries.]
Top

Got a spare computer?

What do you need to run a satellite Earth station?
A Pentium-based PC running at 166 MHz or higher, using the Windows NT operating system, 16 MB RAM, 1.2 GB hard drive, CD ROM, sound card, speakers, and 17" VGA colour monitor. [Hey – almost a description of my computer. I have more RAM, of course.]
What's needed in addition to that (and a satellite ground station, of course) is Scientific-Atlanta's SkyStation Controller of which a newly designed edition will be presented at the upcoming IBC trade fair in Amsterdam.
The new controller software system will provide an advanced graphical user interface for this versatile control platform that will support a variety of teleport, service provider, or broadcaster requirements, the company said in a press release.
SkyStation Controller's capabilities will include:
I think that will do. Further information: http://www.sciatl.com/
Top

CHANNELS

Qatar follows France on Arabsat

Canal France International will be replaced by a Qatari TV channel on Arabsat 2A, 26 degrees East, after having been kicked off from the satellite system.
CFI was dropped after accidentally broadcasting a portion of a pornographic film two months ago, and there's no dispute about that. However, before the incident CFI was given a series of warnings incriminating programmes deemed inappropriate for Islamic countries.
The unnamed Qatari channel will be launched next week on Arabsat.
http://www.arab.net/arabsat/welcome.html
Top

Channel 5's just fine, really

Despite some public criticism on its programming, Britain's latest (and last) terrestrial network Channel 5 is "exceeding expectations after its first few months," said United News & Media Plc chief executive Lord Hollick.
United News is part of the four-company consortium which owns Channel 5."We are already hitting five percent in homes we can reach," Lord Hollick said. He told Reuters that Channel 5 advertising revenues were slightly better than forecast and the station was also ahead of schedule in terms of its reach and audience share.
Channel 5 was launched last March and now reaches two thirds of UK homes, a figure that is expected to rise when more terrestrial transmitters become operational.
http://www.channel5.co.uk/ [nothing there, really]
Top

TV Globo to hit Portugal

TV Cabo Portugal, a wholly owned subsidiary of Portugal Telecom, has joined forces with Brazilian media conglomerate Globo, the largest TV network outside the U.S., and Portuguese commercial television network SIC.
The companies involved plan to set up a "strategic partnership" to provide premium movie and entertainment packages, including pay TV, to subscribers of TV Cabo, Portugal's largest cable operator. The company's cable network passes more than 1.15 million homes and thus covers 20 percent of the country.
TV Globo is also Brazil's largest pay TV operator with a 70 percent market share and more than 1.7 million subscribers.
Top

DIGITAL

Brave New World

And yet again, the face of Canadian television viewing has changed forever. That's at least what ExpressVu Inc said about the launch of its DTH service.
The ExpressVu DISH Network service will offer Canadians from Vancouver Island to Newfoundland an unprecedented lineup of programming, delivered directly to their homes with digital clarity, using a small 60 cm satellite dish. ExpressVu has acquired the rights to EchoStar Communications Corp.'s DTH technology and the exclusive use of EchoStar's DISH brand name in Canada.
The company's offering will include 69 digital video channels in the east, 48 in the west, plus more than 34 CD-quality music channels. ExpressVu said it was the only Canadian DTH service that will move to a Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), enabling the company to offer television viewers more than 180 channels. This satellite will be launched in September, 1998. Subscribers to ExpressVu's Dish Network service will receive a free hardware upgrade and will be able to use the same set-top box technology.
In related news, DiviCom Inc., a leading provider of digital video networking solutions, announced that ExpressVu Inc. has selected DiviCom products and integration services for its uplink centre.
At the heart of the uplink system are DiviCom's MediaView MV25 digital video encoders. The fully MPEG-2/DVB compliant broadcast system also includes Nagra conditional access technology and EchoStar's Model 1000 set-top boxes.
http://www.expressvu.com/
http://www.dishnetwork.com/
Top

Kuwait to offer global satellite Internet access

ZAKSat of Kuwait, a provider of pay television channels in the region, is targeting Internet users in some 63 countries stretching from Egypt to Japan while even having global ambitions.
It's the same old unidirectional stuff we know from other systems: Users will still need an old-fashioned Internet Access Provider, using either modems os ISDN to request anything from the Internet. Download will in contrast be performed via satellite, in this case via China's Asiasat 2 at 105.5 degrees East.
"It's 10 to 100 times faster than the normal Internet today," said ZAKSat general manager Mario Pino. [Yes, we know hat kind of talk.] He added the company's goal "in the Middle East and Asia is to have 50,000 to 100,000 customers in the first year and a half." The service will be extended to cover Europe by December 1997 and North America by the first quarter of 1998.
Pino said developing the ZAKNet service required the trifle of some US$20 million to US$30 million. Customers will not only be charged between US$15 and US50 per month but will also have to shell out US$250 for a card to be fitted into their personal computer. Existing satellite reception equipment can be used for the service, anyway.
ZakSat is a joint venture between two Kuwaiti companies, Zaid al-Kazemi Sons (ZAK) and Kuwait Investments and Projects Company. The service uses technology developed by French companies Sat (Sagem Group) and France Telecom.
http://www.zak-sat.net/ [I guess ;-]
Top

Nobody wants PrimeStar

PrimeStar, the U.S. DBS service that wants to take over Rupert Murdoch's digital TV assets in the U.S., has probably set a new [negative] word record in attracting new subscribers.
Just 500 (in words: five hundred) TV households wanted to subscribe to the still medium-power satellite based service offered by major U.S. cable companies. This was reported by SkyREPORT, an email-based service that keeps track of U.S. digital TV subscriber figures.
PrimeStar officials hastily made their point of view be known, claiming an error had been made with company subscriber counts as the reason for the bad overall result. They said that the company's financial department had discovered an approximate 100,000-subscriber over-reporting of numbers dating back to January, 1997.
PrimeStar also said it was "cleaning out" its subscriber files, looking for non-paying customers and eliminating them from its files. After all, new subscribers n August totalled some 20,000.
The winners of last month include DirecTV (90,000 new subscribers) and EchoStar's Dish Network (75,000 new subs.)
http://www.primestar.com/ [Isn't it just about silly to include all those links? You can guess them anyway, using the www.<company name>.com scheme.]
Top

RUPERTWATCH

By Dr Sarmaz

A reader's comment

"I think Rupertwatch is much more exciting than Dexter's Lab."
Mathias Helm (who favours plain ASCII, by the way – sorry mate! Even though I'm absolutely flattered, I disagree with you nonetheless. There's more whit in any Dexter's Lab episode, let alone Cow & Chicken, than in this so-called newsletter. Thanks anyway for your comment!)
Top

News Corp issues annual report

Rupert Murdoch has loads of cash at hand. That's what he told the world in News Corp.'s annual report.
News Corp. Ltd. has cash balances of more than US$2.7 billion and is in a strong financial position to pursue its global growth strategy, News Corp Chairman Mr Murdoch said.
He stated that "These cash resources, together with our established cash flows, give us the flexibility to finance future investments without jeopardizing our investment-grade credit ratings."
"The competition in the global market place will remain fierce and will favour those companies with financial strength," Mr Murdoch added. What a surprise.
Commenting on his ventures in Latin America and Japan, Mr Murdoch noted that "In each of these markets, we have joined forces with other partners who bring significant expertise and important local language programming to these operations. That combination, I believe, insures our success as we continue to focus on our rapid growth."
Mr Murdoch claimed that News Corp. is the largest TV network operator in the world with either full or partial ownership over 90 channels around the world across the Asia Pacific region, Europe and the Americas. Soon more than 75 percent of the world's population would have access to News' programming, he said.
The bad thing is, of course, that obviously nobody can prevent him from that. "The potential for our satellite distribution and programming businesses is enormous," Mr Murdoch noted. He quoted China as an example, a country with a population of 1.3 billion. Nonetheless, just 40 only million households had access to multi-channel television and only 600,000 owned satellite dishes, Mr Murdoch observed.
This is not really a surprise, or rather, it is indeed as satellite dishes are banned in China. Mr Murdoch's satellite and cable plans in China currently burn just on a small flame while his intentions to introduce pay-TV in India have been answered by the government with a temporary dish ban.
http://www.newscorp.com.au/
http://www.newscorp.com/
Top

FEEDBACK

HTML V/S ASCII

Well, had I written an analysis of all the comments coming in in favour of or opposing the HMTL/ASCII dual format of Sat-ND, there would be no issue of this so-called newsletter today, just a discussion paper on the objections German university staff have towards HTML-formatted mail. Yawn! Couldn't care less. Subscribe to some German language service instead and have fun with 8-bit ASCII that comes in many different flavours over the Internet, in contrast to HTML.
Thanks for all your comments and contributions, though. I reckon some two percent of Sat-ND subscribers have so far pledged for plain ASCII, but there were at least as many comments in favour of the dual HTML/ASCII format (including readers who said they couldn't care less and I should do whatever I please, pointing out that it's the content that matters.)
I usually do not do this, but for a change, I'd like to quote an email on that subject because the guy who sent it knows what this service is all about even better than me, and I mean it (no irony involved whatsoever:) constant improvement, surprises and changes, and maybe even a new background colour soon ;-)
Pantha rei (or something like that, I don't speak Greece) – everything flows anyway. Now here's the email I mentioned, quoted in its entirety:
"Very good choice!
"I didn't know of the possibility of dual-feed (txt-html), and it's perfect.
"Let me throw an arrow against those who wanted it unchanged: I personally like your newslettter not because I'm waiting for a lift on the next launcher, I'm fascinated by the innovations, so the people against html should exchange news via smoke signals...
"Immer weiter!"
(Gianni Barberi, Italy)
I couldn't have described what this service is all about better in my on words, really. Thank you very much indeed., Gianni. You saved my day ;-)
Top

Copyright 09.97 by Peter C. Klanowski, pck@LyNet.De. All rights reserved.