[Prev][Next][Index]

Sat-UK #166 08.12.97: JAAM-E-JAM - SIRIUS 2

Sat-UK Report #166:
- Jaam-e-Jam TV Network starts on HotBird 3
- Sirius 2 tests are over; new channel
monday 8th december 1997
Email: dsedghi@TELE-Satellite.com
Sat-UK Web: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-uk/
UK Satellite Control: http://www.sat-net.com/uk-satellite/
And now the news:

--------- Jaam-e-Jam TV Network starts on HotBird 3

Free Iranian television channel, Jaam-e-Jam TV Network, has begun in
clear PAL on HotBird 3, 12,437 H. The channel appears to be a "best of
Iranian terrestrial TV" channel, and is operated by the national
broadcasters IRIB.

---------- Sirius 2 tests are over; new channel

Sirius 2 has now finished testing - seemed very quick to me! Wasn't it
just the other day that it was launched? As we all know, Kanal 5 has
been broadcasting on Sirius 2 for some time now on 11,476 V on the
Nordic beam, which I personally don't find very impressive. Using a 90cm
dish here in the Midlands, there are still plenty of sparklies. Kanal 5
is due to finish transmissions on Tele-X today, and will henceforth only
broadcast on Sirius 2 (and of course, Thor 2, but for how long noone
knows).
I have also spotted D2-MAC tests, or some D2-MAC channel on 12,322 V,
although I cannot get a good lock on it because the beam strength is so
poor. I hope it does not remain this bad. The transponder has been
reserved for the Scandinavian versions of the Sci-Fi Channel and EBN,
which will broadcast in D2-MAC. If anyone with a big dish can confirm
this for me, please do. I hate to be in the dark.
Hopefully this is not the full strength of Sirius 2's Nordic beam; I and
many others were expecting a much stronger signal, and had predicted a
90cm dish as the minimum. Having said that, it's quite rainy here in
Solihull, so perhaps that's partly the problem. I haven't yet seen any
channel tests on the European beam - only black cards. I have seen the
odd test on the central beam, but again it was very poor. And what's
more, whenever I tune into the central frequencies at five degrees east,
all I get is strong test cards from Télécom 2C two degrees further west.
Let me know if you have any similar problems and I'll put them on this
list for reference.

All contents (C) 1997 Dominic Sedghi, except where indicated. All rights
reserved. The above may not be reproduced without written consent.
Information is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.