USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

From: chris dot muriel at analog dot com (Chris Muriel)
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:01:01 GMT

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 23:33:52 GMT, werpu@inflab.uni-linz.ac.at (Werner
Punz) wrote:

>Turbo wrote:
>
>>I thought the following re-post of some info I have recently received
>>regarding $ky`s digi plans may be of interest to those here. It will
>>certainly stop me from considering any thoughts of subscribing to this new
>>"service".

>Well you get what you pay for. (In this case $KY)
 They always intended to use MacroVision (it was in the spec. supplied
to the box manufacturers a year or more ago)....
 Chris Muriel,Manchester

Subject: Re: Thor 1 help please.
From: steven.fakley@ukonline.co.uk (Steven Fakley)
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 02:29:24 GMT

On Wed, 17 Sep 1997 07:19:10 +0100, chris@cbjert.demon.co.uk (c)
wrote:

>I am getting good reception of intelsat 707 and thor 2 but also want thor
>1.Looking at the footprints of these satellites I am in the '44' zone on
>thor 2 and the '42' zone on thor 1. What do these figures refer to and
>does this mean I should pick up thor 1 on the dish size I am using(80 by
>85cm)

The figures are in dbw which represents the received power level for
your area. A satellite beam is aimed at a fixed region such as the
middle of europe, and the further you are from that region the weaker
the received signal will be.

The bigger the dish you have, the more signal you can collect,
so the lower the dbw level is you will require for a good picture.

Your dish size will require a signal level of about 48dbw for a good
picture you should be able to receive signals at least as low as
44dbw. This level however will produce heavy sparklies on the screen.
If you have threshold extension then you would have a much better
picture at 44dbw and be able to receive signals as low as 41dbw.

The zones you mention represent the minimum signal level you will
receive in that zone. If you live closer to the inner zone then your
signal level will actually be closer to the inner zones value.

> If not,what size is the minimum needed?,I was told thor 2 needed a
>1.2metre dish but my dish picks it up fine.

As you can receive thor 2 fine then I would say that you do actually
live closer to an inner zone. So I would also estimate that you
actually receive thor 1 at about 43dbw.

At this level you might just pick up very faint signals off of thor 1.
As the output signals off of thor 1 are left and right handed (which
would reduce the level by another 3db unless you had a depolorizer)
then you may not see any signals at all.

So there is no chance of you receiving thor 1 on your current dish.

To receive thor 1 in your area you would require a dish size of about
2 meters at least.
--------
Bulky chips on your card stopping you from closing your decoder flap ?
Don't waste money buying a wafer !
Just pull the flap off !!!
(Simple solutions for simple people)

Subject: Re: AFN TV
From: "Rieske" <rieske@berlin.snafu.de>
Date: 17 Sep 1997 15:16:05 GMT

They used to be on Eutelsat (10 East), broadcasting in B-Mac.  A couple of
month ago they switched to a digital signal which is also encrypted.  I
don't think there are any cards that would work on their encryption!
Sorry, but the "join the army" theory is probably still the only
alternative.

Charley Moolhuizen <charley.moolhuizen@tros.nl> wrote in article
<charley.moolhuizen-2808560314520001@mac4-220.tros.nl>...

Subject: Re: Sky Digital Plans
From: "RSD Communications Ltd." <sales@rsd-communications.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:47:42 +0100

Chris Heaton wrote:

> Does anyone know if it true that Sky plans to broadcast it's digital
> service in MPEG4 not MPEG2?

Actually rumour has it that they will be using MPEG13 which can squeeze
about 100 channels into a single transponer although in their case that
will mean about 300 channels ;-)

Seriously though the spec. said MPEG2.

From: Dominic Sedghi <dominic@bigrp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 18:05:28 +0100

Neil McNair wrote:

> I heard MPEG 2, with all channels using fec 2/3 symb 27500

According to some nice info from a reputable group, Sky will be using
MPEG-2, SR20000 and FEC2/3

You never know with Sky, though

Dom

--
Dominic Sedghi, Sat-UK
dominic@bigrp.demon.co.uk

#####

You can subscribe AND unsubscribe at TELE-satellites Homepage at:
http://www.tele-satellit.com
For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to
Majordomo@tags1.dn.net (_not_ to me, please - so do NOT use reply) and
include the line
help
in the body of your message.