Subject: Re: BBC NEW CHANNELS ON TP56 ASTRA 1D
From: Jomtien@the.beach (Jomtien)
Date: Wed, 05 November 1997 11:57 PM EST

Les O'Connor <les.oconnor@virgin.net> wrote:

>available on cable. Check out text page 444 on uk gold for further
>details.
Did anyone else notice that on Nov 1st page 445 had a subpage
suggesting that those wishing to request that UKTV be available on
satellite as part of multichannels ring 0990 10 20 30 (Sky) ?

This subpage disappeared within 24 hours.

I think that there must be some bad feeling between UKTV and Sky.
Not surprising really as UKTV is about a million times better than
Sky's own programming (Cops, Oprah etc. etc. - would *anyone* pay for
that if it wasn't the only way to get a card to watch the other
non-Sky channels in Multichoice ?)

--
Jomtien

Subject: Re: UK-TV New Channel
From: Ray Woodward <ray.w@zen.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 04 November 1997 09:49 AM EST

In article <19971104141801.JAA27663@ladder02.news.aol.com>, MRuenger
<mruenger@aol.com> comments ...

>where can I find the new UK-TV Channels. I have found the preview-channel,
but
> the stations must be distributed to cable via satellite. My guess is a
digital
> feed, but where ???

Intelsat 803 - 27.5 degrees west (until Astra's second orbital slot
[28.2 east] enters service).

Oh, BTW to the best of my knowledge the UKTV digital [cable] feed is
encrypted.

==

Ray

Subject: Re: UK-TV Where?
From: Turbo
Date: Tue, 04 November 1997 09:11 AM EST

Once upon a time lreid@nojunkplease.lreid.demon.co.uk wrote:

>>Does anyone know which satellite and freqs are being used to
>>distribute the new BBC/Flextech UK-TV channels to cable head-ends?
>>Assuming they are digital feeds, are they encrypted?
>>snip.........

Int 803 27.5W.
The d-box finds them o.k. but they are encrypted :(
Bob.

http://www.turbo.demon.co.uk/

"Meat is murder - but fish is justifiable homicide"

Subject: Re: Sky = Sneaky Bastards
From: james@marage.demon.co.uk (James Follett)
Date: Wed, 05 November 1997 06:49 AM EST

A common expression used in this thread and other threads of a similar
nature is: `I rang them up...'. Spot of bother with a direct debit, a
supposedly unpaid bill, a stopped cheque etc., and the common reaction
is to reach for the telephone. The answer is: don't phone -- write! Or
if you do phone, send a follow-up letter or fax confirming the substance
of the conversation.

Most large organisations that depend almost wholly on the telephone to
conduct their business, and I don't suppose BSkyB is an exception,
automatically record all telephone conversations, whereas relatively
few of their customers do likewise. When things go wrong, the hapless
customer is left bleating `but I rang you up!' but can't recall the
precise date and time, and very often doesn't know to whom they spoke.
Thus the organisation is holding all the aces in any dispute.

The above applies to not only queries/purchases of BSkyB services,
but to telephone mail ordering in general. *Always* confirm in writing.

Many large organisations aren't geared for writing letters in reply to
letters so the reverse applies and they'll ring you up. In which case
the same rule applies: follow-up with a letter/fax confirming the
substance of the conversation quoting the date and time.

I've won many battles due to my strict adherence to this rule.

--
James Follett - novelist

Subject: Re: RTM 1 digitally transmitted via Hotbird 3??
From: Ray Woodward <ray.w@zen.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 05 November 1997 02:08 PM EST

In article <3460B7A7.1FB4994C@samson.stud.hivolda.no>, Mohamed El
Mourabit <mel@samson.stud.hivolda.no> comments ...

>it was with enormous enthusiasm I discovered on satcodex.com that RTM 1
>(Royal Television Maroc 1) has started digital transmissions on 971014,
>at the Hot Bird III satellite.
>Does anybody know if this channel really has started here? And if so,
>are the cards only available in France, Morocco and the other
>North-African countries?

You should find RTM 1 in clear PAL analogue on Eutelsat II F3 at 16 east
[10.972 GHz Vertical].

It is also broadcast in clear digital [MPEG II] via Astra capacity at
19.2 degrees east.

I'm not aware of any digital release of RTM 1 at 13 east, though Kuwait
TV can be found on Hot Bird 3 in clear digital.

>It would be great if yu could help me with some information on what
>equipment I need to receive it (I have a Nokia 8003 sat.tuner) with a
>dualband LNB. What kind of digital decoder would I need, and do you know
>where I can buy the cards?

You will require a digital receiver to view digital channels - such as
the Nokia 9600s or Galaxis SAT 500IRD for example. You can't simply add
an external decoder to your existing system.

I would also recommend (though it might not be necessary) that you use a
'Universal' LNB for digital reception - most [but not all] older LNB's
are adequate for digital use.

==

Ray

   E-mail : ray.w@zen.co.uk

#####

You can subscribe AND unsubscribe at TELE-satellites Homepage at:
http://www.tele-satellit.com
For information on how to subscribe or unsubscribe, send email to
Majordomo@tags1.dn.net (_not_ to me, please - so do NOT use reply) and
include the line
help
in the body of your message.