[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: Purchasing a Dish for malta

>Dear Dr. Dish,
>
>I am writing from Malta in Europe. I am in the process of buying a
>satelite dish. I was advised to purchase a 3.1M dish, but after visiting
>several shops, I was re-advised to purchase a 1.8M dish , which they
>proposed was sufficient. I was informed that the dish is an 'offset' dish
>( I don't know what this means) therefore it is as powerful and effective
>as a 3.1M.
>Is this correct?
>Am I buying the right dish?
>The receiver has a threshold of up to 30 is this good or bad?
>
>Please answer as soon as possible as I must confirm the order today!
>
>Thanks for all your help.
>
>David Schranz

Dr.Dish:
For recpetion of ASTRA, EUTELSAT (wide and super) and most of the INTELSAT
in the ku-band 180cm and a receiver with threshold extension is fine. A
offset-dish is suited for ku-band, but not very much for c-band. There are
c-band feeds for offset dishes on the market, but its better in this case
you switch to the 310m prime-focus dish. But beware of cheap offers, because
they will not perform very well on ku-band. Orbitron offers a new
mesh-version with smaller holes (Micro-Mesh). This construction is much more
stable and comes in a good parabolic shape.
You did not write about the name of your receiver. But I think it is a
UNIDEN or PALCOM. Both are suitable to receive weak signals and work fine
with Ku-band and C-band LNBs.
Dr.Dish (Christian Mass)
drdish@tv - the first european satellite info channel

[Other mailing list archives]