[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT Observations 96.12.03

WELCOME TO SAT-MIDEAST !
A news release from Cairo, Egypt, located at 30.3 North - 31.15 East
WHAT YOU'LL FIND HERE:
- Satellite and Transponder Observations in C- and Ku-Band,
- Commented from the Middle Eastern perspective.

WHAT YOU DON'T FIND HERE:
- Astra, Eutelsat Superbeam and Skandinavian Reports.
- D-Box Info, DF-1 Reports and daily Feed Listings.
THE HEADLINES IN THIS REPORT:

- Express 6 activ
- NVS broadcasts longer
- Hot Bird 2
- Kuwait TV NEW TXPR
- The Bits & Pieces part

Express 6, 80 East, SATCO-DX: http://www.satcodx.com/g24.html
---------
After a long absence, today I found a txpr working on this sat. Txpr 11,
3.925 GHz, Rc, had an empty carrier activated. Better this than nothing.

GORIZONT 31, 40 East, SATCO-DX: http://www.satcodx.com/g31.html
-----------
After a color bar test card, and a comprhensive message in Kyrillic, NVS
on txpr 11 , 3.925 GHz, Rc, started txm again with a TF1 movie at 07:15
CET this morning, including commercials. When programming ceased is
unknown by me, while away for my daily job.

HOT BIRD 2, 29 East, Test Position
----------
SATCO-DX: http://www.satcodx.com/hb2.html
Check here for observation results !

On txpr 51, 11.747 GHz, H, txpr test are performed on the widebeam.
On txpr 53, 11.785 GHz, H, are regular Eutelsat info's txm, sound
carrier in English on 6.60 MHz, however on the superbeam.

A titel is superimposed on the top of the screen, saying:
Eutelsat Satellite
Operational Evaluation at 29 degrees East

...And then there is trouble. As actually could be expected from the
footprint charts, the Hot Bird 2 superbeam does come in quite weak in
Cairo. It must be totally unavailable in the Gulf Region. I personnaly
expected a little more EIRP, but it wasn't to be, sadly but true :-((

I can hardly lock in on the picture, need all the available treshold
reduction and use a synchron inserter to stabilize the screen. The sound
is only recognizable.
The reception of the widebeam txm is very strong (txpr 51, 11.747 GHz,
H), comparable with the HB 1 super-widebeam quality.

It means however that all following Hot Birds e.g. HB3, HB4 (to be
launched in 1997), and the replacement for the Eutelsat II-f1 (to be
launched in 1998), will have similar reception results for the
superbeam, while they are designed equally in power and beam width. Most
European broadcaster will opt for the superbeam anyway, and with
increased use of digital txms, the Middle East will loose out on the 13
East position. Hoping on more wide beam broadcaster, there's nothing
else to do as to wait for the Eutelsat W24 series, with the first launch
in 1998, replacing one after each other the Eutelsat satellites on 7, 10
and 16 degrees East. They have much more suitable beam configurations
for the MidEast than the upcomimg Hot Birds, however with, of course,
more localized programming.

Let's see what the soon starting Arabsat 2B will bring us, hopefully
something brand new. (and not the old and grey sport txms of STAR
Sports) ;-(

ARABSAT 2A, 26 East, SATCO-DX: http://www.satcodx.com/a2a.html
----------
Kuwait TV started on txpr 7, 12.646 GHz, H, with a sound carrier on 6.60
Mhz. The programming is identical to the C-Band txm on txpr 21, 4.167
GHz, Rc. Some interference waves are visible in the picture.

EUTELSAT II-f2, 10 East,  SATCO-DX: http://www.satcodx.com/e2f2.html
--------------
Bloomberg Information Télévision transmits on txpr 37, 11.575 GHz, V,
only between 6:30 and 8:30 CET their in-screen TV picture, after that a
dia appeares just saying that. The rest of the computer generated screen
is updated constantly.

AMOS 1, 4 East,  SATCO-DX: http://www.satcodx.com/amos1.html
------
Another boring message, but it happened, so it will be reported:
Txpr 6L, 11.653 GHz, V, was activated again with an empty carrier
(what's the deal?)
Txpr 4L, 11.468 GHz, V, txm today again the IBA Israel 1 programm
contents.

Best regards,

Henk C. Room / Sat-MidEast / Cairo - Egypt

For details check: http://www.intouch.com/~hcroom/