[Prev][Next][Index]

Re: [SAT-UK-CLUB]: Lt8700 + Frequency Extender.

I've seen several articles on the 8700 and universal lnbs on the online
pages of this mail list. As I'm considering buying
a secondhand 8700 to use with a universal lnb, I'm a little concerned. I
currently have an upgraded 5500 with a quad band lnb - I'm getting a
digital receiver as well and want to use a universal to have a little less
hassle in switching between the digital and analog receivers. The Echostar
5500 hasn't got tone switching :(

The gist of the other articles is that the 8700 has a 2ghz tuner and that
with a universal's high band lo of 10.6 ghz, the top of the Telecom band
can't be tuned to without a software upgrade from version 3 to version 4.
What worries me is that a software upgrade doesn't upgrade the tuner -
while the frequencies can be inputted, it seems it is relying on the tuner
to operate beyond its designed frequency range. Some tuners take this, some
don't. Does a new 8700 have a wider range tuner to work ok with universals,
i.e. is this just a problem with older ones? Does anyone who has upgraded
from v3 to v4 software still have trouble tuning to the higher frequncies?

Thanks

John Rainer

sat-uk-club@tags1.dn.net"sat-uk-club@tags1.