This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- IN CASE YOU DID NOT KNOW: NO NBC ON ASTRA !

John Hewitt writes:
>I bought and fitted an ADX converter (to my SRD 400) in order to watch
>The NBS Superchannel. I wanted to see The Tonight Show with Jay Leno
>and hopefully some US Football. The support info that came with the
>ADX said that I could get the NBC Super Channel. So I was kinda
>surprised and dissapointed to find that I didn't get the NBC Super
>Channel: I received some other channel called CNBC which appears to be
>wall to wall business info.
>Checked the SKY TV Guide (their own mag), SKY says that it's CNBC on
>transponder 50, 10.729 Ghz, Vertical. They do not mention the NBC
>Super Channel. Also checked the listing of satellites and transponders
>that is published in "What Satellite TV", it agrees with SKY [Did note
>that the NBC Super Channel is on EutelSat II, transponder 25 - but
>that's a long ways from the Astra cluster!!]
>Resignation set it, figgered that I'd been hosed - again. Then someone
>brought me a copy of  "TV & Satellite Week" and I'll be darned if it
>doesn't list The NBC Superchannel on "Astra 10.729Ghz (V)"   Of course
>it ain't there!! But why do these folks think that it is?? What am I
>missing (well, yes, it's the NBC Super Channel!), but you know what I
>mean!!??

What you are seeing is that there are lots of listings around with
outdated info.
NBC superchannel USED to be on transponder 50.  It was also on Eutelsat.
Then, NBC felt like they needed a business channel in Europe (who is
watching these things??  I get eyesore from the stupid scrolling banner
after viewing it for a few seconds), and they did not want to rent yet
another transponder.  So, they put it on the Astra transponder and
now NBC superchannel is only on Eutelsat.  This all happened months ago,
but apparently "TV & Satellite Week" didn't notice.

No idea why it wasn't done the other way around, I would think that
most home viewers in the intended viewing area would have a dish pointed
at Astra and would not be interested in the business.  Also there already
was another business channel on Eutelsat (maybe THAT's the reason??).

Anyway, you are hosed.  You will need to make your dish movable, or add
another LNB an mount it on a 19.2/13 degrees dual LNB mount.

Rob

- NEWS FROM 1 DEG WEST

Raymond wrote:

Bjorn Kihlberg comments :

>>Ray Woodward writes:
>>
>>>I wonder if this means that Tv 1000 CINEMA will move from the
>>>problematical Tv Sat 2 to Thor on the present MTV transponder ..?
>>
>>Apart from TV-Sat2's loss of 2 transponders and the power problem
>>during spring and autumn nights there is nothing problematical with it
>>really. In fact, signal in the middle of its footprint is extremely
>>strong.
>
>Possibly, though I can't believe Tv 1000 CINEMA want to change
>satellites for the hell of it ...

A lot of consumers will be very angry at them, if they will change. Many
don't know how to re-tune their recievers (believe me!).

But why did MTV decide to use the new Intelsat feed? The Scandinavians
don't even need it - the Thor feed is excellent! There's more to it than
that, I guess Sky is not to happy at the moment: Since the Thor feed is
out of range for most UK viewers, and the 13 degr feed is in VC2, those
feeds are not interesting. But since there are many Brits with D2Mac
units, the 707 feed must be a violation against the deal between MTV and
Sky! Now Brits don't need Sky to get MTV! Just get a dish for 707 and a
cheap card, and there it is! Strange!   :-)

Cheers, Jojo

[Other mailing lists]