Subject: Re: Thor 2: New SciFi and TV1000Cinema frequencies
From: james@marage.demon.co.uk (James Follett)
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 97 08:17:13 GMT

In article <ZMEWpKAmJJkzEwnn@airtime.co.uk>
           raymondw@airtime.co.uk "Ray Woodward" writes:

>Thus Thor 2A *can't* operate in the DBS band - it isn't built to.
>Plus the fact that if it did it would interfere  with Thor 1 ...

Hallo, Ray,

Thor 2A -- is this a new satellite or one of the BSB Marco Polos that
was `parked' at 31 degrees west? If the latter, I recall that BSB had
to operate their first satellite on reduced power until both were
operating. They were, of course, limited to five channels in the DBS
band. Both birds were state of the art in their day so I expect they
have TWTs that allow the transponders some flexibility in output
frequencies and/or linearity.

Power is the problem for DBS spotbeam satellites. If I recall, ERPs
in the order of 100W per channel (hence circular polarisation) were
required of BSB plus battery backup for eclipse protection. The IBA spec
was very tight, giving BSB many problems (not least being the only
broadcaster in the world that owned their own satellites) so two
satellites was the answer.

--
James Follett -- novelist