[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT-Usenet 13/98

SAT-Usenet
13/98
get the best from Satellite-TV Newsgroups via eMail!

This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
INTERNATIONAL
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TSi:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- BBC TESTS AT 28 DEG EAST

On 23 Mar 98 17:28:47 +0000, Phil Harwood <pharwood@enterprise.net> wrote:

>The BBC are currently showing their testcard, with the words widescreen
>below it, at 11.720H, SR27490, FEC2/3 at 28.2E.
>Phil Harwood
that's a cute little test card ?? :--))
do you get the color lines on top and bottom? (3/4 tv)
--

Regards,
         Joe

- ESSAY: BUYING A BOX...

Subj:Buying a box.Experiences

From:Roeland Pluijmers 100021.3650@compuserve.com

  Earlier I wrote here about my experiences with the
  Galaxis Gladiator receiver, that small little box that needs
  a lot of space because working it is literally a hot thing.
    Mr J.M. Jahn from Denmark  wrote in his kind reply for which I thank him,
  that Nokia receivers aren't as hot as the receiver I described.
  So I decided for a Nokia SAT 820 S.
  And Mr. Jahn  is right: it is definite much cooler.
    I installed the dish, connected the cables, did some geometry:
  switched on the equipment and, wonderful.. it worked at
  once.
  When I sought equipment I tried also to get a television set
  with a small footprint.
  I once owned a small black and white Sony set with a
  spherical tube. This thing took a small amount
  of space.
  Sony uses now those cylindrical Trinitron tubes, which are long.
  Their portable small TV which they offer now in the Netherlands is
  44 cm deep (or should I say long.)
  I phoned with Sony, and they told me that they could not offer
  me a portable which is smaller. Their Watchman has disappeared
  from their assortment.
  Then I remembered an advertisement of Philips in Time Magazine a
  few years ago: they offered a small TV in the form of a
  PC-notebook, with buttons and switches instead of the keyboard.
  I phoned Philips: no, not offered anymore. Disappeared, at least
  from the Dutch market.
  Then I inspected the small tellies in a local shop: they are
  all at least 40 cm deep...
  So I decided to bring my old nice but big, but also yes also 40 cm deep,
  vacuum-cleaner-plastic-blue-on-single-foot B&O to my current address.
  Until someone invents and wants to sell me a small TV, maximal
  30 cm deep, of a good quality, I think to stick to this thing, which
  robs me of 3 meters bookspace, but, is, I must say, very nice
  to look at, nice box, nice picture.
  I watched the first evening on Arte a programme about the exploits
  of General Keitel of Germany, and a film about Mendelsohn:
  Nice to look at those scenic pictures of old landscapes and
  leafy graveyards with broken tombstones.
  And nice music by nice ladies dressed in nice robes sitting at nice pianos
  on nice floors with nice golden lightning. Indeed, very nice.

  Thank You for reading.

  R.

--
Roeland Pluijmers 100021.3650@compuserve.com

- RESET ON A NOKIA-BOX

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998 10:22:38 GMT, quilp@cableinet.co.uk (Bernard C Judd)
wrote:

>I need to know how to reset the Nokia 9600s so that I can start again from
>square one.  I have so many downloaded stations that it would take too long
>sort them.  There seems to be no favourite channels listing that I can move
them
>to or have I missed something.
>
>Thanks in anticipation
>
>Bernard
Hard-Reset:

the receiver on. Then press off on the remote control. In the
same moment the receiver goes to off mode (only the clock is visible) press
off and arrow up on the receiver front panel (both at same time) ....

should do it.

--

Regards,
         Joe

- LENGTH OF A SCART CABLE

In article <351d15a9.3650236@news>, Peter Jarzynka <jarzynka@usa.net>
writes
>Help,
>
>I am trying to run a 6 wires (2 audio + composite) cable from my
>satellite receiver in the living room up to my TV in the  bedroom
>upstairs....
>
>What is the maximum distance that a SCART cable can be ?  without
>losing too much signal ? Any type a cable that I should be ?
>
>Any ideas ? Experiences ?

I run a SCART to Phono into 2 by 10m Phono - Phono extension leads (only
3 wires used - 2 x audio & 1 x video) without any noticeable degredation

All wires mentioned run totally within the house.

HTH

--
      Kit
Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

- BLOWN UP SYSTEM ?

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 18:31:36 +0100, David Johnson
<dajohns@zetnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wonder if anyone can help me..
>
>My satellite system (a Pace PRD800) has blown up and is beyond repair
>- I am left in a situation whereby obviously I have to buy a new
>system (at least a new receiver and a new extended/universal LNB) ASAP.
>
>The problem lies with the possibility of Digital Satellite TV (DIB
>and Sky TV) - When it is to be released, what it will consist of, and
>what equipment will be necessary.
>
>I realise that I have to purchase a new analogue receiver (short term
>at least so I can continue to watch!) and believe it would make sense
>to purchase a universal LNB so at least that will be sufficient to
>receive the digital transmissions if and when I decide to upgrade..
>
>I have my eyes on the Pace MSS100 and Pace MSS300 - It is basically a
>choice between these two which is governed by how the digital
>satellite systems from Sky will operate. It seems the only real
>difference of significant use between the 100 and the 300 is the dual
>LNB input.

Here are a few other differences
MSS100 has that unusal shape the MSS300 looks more conventional

The MSS300 has the Liquid display window reassuringly telling you that
you are on the right station to watch the movie you've been waiting to
see

The the MSS300 has the extra Baseband option (MAC) which the MSS100
lacks

The MSS100 is suitable for use with a C Band LNB whilst the 300 is not

The Card is easier to get at on the 300 and it's behind a neat flap on
the MSS100 it's in the side

>The question I ask is; How will the new digital boxes work? Will they
>be digital /receivers/ and decoders, or simply digital decoders which
>you add onto your analogue receiver?

Skys Digital receivers will be for use on Astra 1D now repositioned at
28.2 East they will be Receivers not add-on decoders

>The reason I ask is that it
>seems that if the latter is true, then it may be worth me going for
>the MSS300 over the MSS100 because it provides room to upgrade to
>digital without having to throw everything out and start again..

It shouldn't make any difference to which you choose - choose either
of the above because of what it can do for you now

>I don't want to spend lots of money on a analogue system only to want
>to replace it completely with a digital receiver in say, a year or
>two's time. So if it seems I will have to buy a completely new
>digital IRD in a years time, then I will go for the MSS100.

Analogue won't die over night but if your intention is to buy Skys
digital TV almost as soon as it launches then you're right the MSS100
is a better choice - if on the other hand you expect to use the
analogue receiver for 18 - 24 Months then my advice presuming you can
afford either is to buy the flashier MSS300

>Please could someone explain exactly how Sky'd digital adventure is
>to work, and the situation regarding different LNBs, dual inputs etc..

Sky haven't made it entirely clear yet , but if we look at what's
happened elsewhere around europe then what you're likely to see is
all of the same channels as now but many of these channels having
extended hours

Some previously seen channels will be given a new lease of life like
Sky 2

and there will be some channels joining the sky package (most of these
are already available in digital (BET on Jazz , Travel, Knowledge TV,
Parlementary Channel etc.)

the biggest change will be with the ammount and timing of Pay Per View
movies - you'll see the same movie with different start times on maybe
four different channels so that if you see that for example they are
going to show Titanic then you'll be able to start watching the film
at 7PM 7:30 PM 8PM etc - you may be able to see some movies at the
same time that they are on in the cinema !

Your box will be connected to your telephone line so that as soon as
you press the "YES..I want to watch this movie"button your phone will
dial Skys computer and your card activated to see the station for the
duration of the film or other event

In the future your box may also be linked to other multimedia
functions where you could virtual shop / Bank and browse the internet
- but it's unlikely this will happen with the first batch of boxes -
we'll see

>Thanks.

Tony Hiscox

HISAT
Butterfly House
161 Bloomfield Road
Brislington
Bristol
BS4 3QR UK

Tel:- +44 (0) 117 972 1814
Fax:- +44 (0) 117 985 7349
Mob:- +44 (0) 410 230 883
eMail:- hisat@hisat.com
Website http://www.hisat.com

Please, Ask an Adult before contributing here
WE USUALLY ONLY ADVERTISE IN alt.satellite.tv.forsale

In article <1998032718313669486@zetnet.co.uk>, David Johnson
<dajohns@zetnet.co.uk> writes
>Hi,
>
>I wonder if anyone can help me..
>
>My satellite system (a Pace PRD800) has blown up and is beyond repair
>- I am left in a situation whereby obviously I have to buy a new
>system (at least a new receiver and a new extended/universal LNB) ASAP.

PRD800's are usually fairly easy to repair (there are details on my web
site), if it's beyond repair it's normally because someone inept has
destroyed the PCB.

If you are a Sky subscriber, ring Sky to cancel your subscription - they
will ask why, reply that your receiver has died and you can't afford to
have it repaired!. They then usually offer to provide you a new reciever
(via TAS) free of charge as long as you keep subscribing!.

>The problem lies with the possibility of Digital Satellite TV (DIB
>and Sky TV) - When it is to be released, what it will consist of, and
>what equipment will be necessary.

A new receiver and a new dish (pointing at a different satellite), they
will probably be fairly expensive - dispite subsidied from BSkyB.

>I realise that I have to purchase a new analogue receiver (short term
>at least so I can continue to watch!) and believe it would make sense
>to purchase a universal LNB so at least that will be sufficient to
>receive the digital transmissions if and when I decide to upgrade..
>
>I have my eyes on the Pace MSS100 and Pace MSS300 - It is basically a
>choice between these two which is governed by how the digital
>satellite systems from Sky will operate. It seems the only real
>difference of significant use between the 100 and the 300 is the dual
>LNB input.

Personally I like the MSS300, the MSS100 looks too much like a set of
bathroom scales :-).

>The question I ask is; How will the new digital boxes work? Will they
>be digital /receivers/ and decoders, or simply digital decoders which
>you add onto your analogue receiver? The reason I ask is that it
>seems that if the latter is true, then it may be worth me going for
>the MSS300 over the MSS100 because it provides room to upgrade to
>digital without having to throw everything out and start again..

You will have to start again for digital, there are no plans to provide
digital 'add-on' decoders as they would not work. Digital tranmissions
use a totally different form of modulation, and can't be recovered from
the baseband outputs on analogue receivers.

>I don't want to spend lots of money on a analogue system only to want
>to replace it completely with a digital receiver in say, a year or
>two's time. So if it seems I will have to buy a completely new
>digital IRD in a years time, then I will go for the MSS100.

If you want digital you will have to replace the entire system, as the
cost of LNB's is minimal these days it would hardly be worth getting a
universal LNB now, as it will most likely come with the digital system
from BSkyB anyway.

>Please could someone explain exactly how Sky'd digital adventure is
>to work, and the situation regarding different LNBs, dual inputs etc..

I suspect the only person to do this at the present time would be a
clairvoyant :-).
--

Nigel.

        | Nigel Goodwin   | Internet : nigelg@lpilsley.demon.co.uk     |
        | Lower Pilsley   | Web Page : http://www.lpilsley.demon.co.uk |
        | Chesterfield    |                                            |
        | England         |                                            |

#####