[Prev][Next][Index]

TS News - Dish Network Announces $199 System

TELE-satellit News, 5 August 1996

Dish Network Announces $199 System
  NEW YORK, New York, USA, 96/08/05 (DVB NEWS) -- EchoStar beginning this
month will offer its DISH Network's 18-inch digital satellite system
nationally for a retail price of $199 when the customer purchases an annual
programming package.

  The new pricing will be available with a one-year, $300 subscription to
America's Top 40 programming package, with over 40 of the most popular
television channels, including The Disney Channel, and DISH CD with 30
channels of CD-quality music.

  Along with the $199 price for the infrared Standard system, EchoStar is
offering the UHF Premium system for a retail price of $299 with the purchase
of the same annual programming subscription. The UHF system has a dual
output LNBF available for viewing different satellite channels on two TVs
and a remote that allows operation of the satellite receiver through walls
and other objects.

  EchoStar recently introduced a lower cost, more fully featured second
generation DISH Network set-top digital receiver, using the same
state-of-the-art, fully MPEG-2/DVB compliant technology as provided in the
first generation boxes.

  "We test marketed our $199 promotion in areas that were strongly affected
by rising cable rates," said Carl Vogel, president, EchoStar Satellite
Corporation.  "The retailer and consumer response to this was so
overwhelming, we decided to offer the promotion nationally for the remainder
of 1996."

  By: Gary Torrens
  Source: DVB News International

(c)TELE-satellit 1996. All rights reserved.

[Other mailing list archives]