TELE-satellite News Service

Satellite Operator Journal
Prestented by UK Satellite Control

Satellite Operator News Report #4:

14th July 1998
Editor: Neil Anthony Powell
Email: uksat@sat-net.com or uk-sat@usa.net
UK Satellite Control: http://www.sat-net.com/uk-satellite/

CONNY KULLMAN CONFIRMED AS DIRECTOR GENERAL AND
CHIEF EXECUTIVE BY INTELSAT ASSEMBLY OF PARTIES.

PanAmSat transmits more than 15,000 hours of World Cup coverage for
 broadcasters in 25+ countries.

PANAMSAT HOSTS FIRST-EVER TESTS
OF MULTIPLE HDTV SYSTEMS LIVE VIA SATELLITE
Top Broadcasters and HDTV Vendors Converge in Napa for Two-Day Forum.

        Washington, DC, 14 July 1998 -- Mr. Conny Kullman was confirmed
today as
the new Director General and Chief Executive of the International
Telecommunications Satellite Organization (INTELSAT) by the 23rd meeting

(extraordinary) of the INTELSAT Assembly of Parties.  Mr. Kullman will
begin
his six-year term 23 October 1998.

        "I am honored by the Assembly's confirmation of my election and
I look
forward to working closely with INTELSAT's Parties and Signatories to
enhance the Organization's service operations and competitiveness," said
Mr.
Kullman.

        As Director General, Mr. Kullman will serve as the Chief
Executive Officer
of INTELSAT and is directly responsible to the Board of Governors for
the
performance of all management functions.

        Mr. Kullman currently serves as INTELSAT Vice President for
Operations and
Engineering.  Employed at INTELSAT for 15 years, he has held a number of

senior positions within the Organization.  He was previously INTELSAT's
Director of Space Segment Engineering and R&D, with responsibility for
satellite launches, engineering support of satellite operations, and
INTELSAT's research and development activities.  Prior to that he served
as
Director of Operations, encompassing INTELSAT's real-time Satellite
Operations, Communications Operations, and the Tracking, Telemetry,
Commanding & Monitoring (TTC&M) Network.  In this post, he was also
responsible for INTELSAT's involvement with the International
Telecommunication Union (ITU) and for Intersystem Coordination issues.
In
1992, he held the position of Director, Operations Plans Division,
handling
the planning and implementation of service on the INTELSAT system.

        Upon joining INTELSAT in 1983, Mr. Kullman had overall
responsibility for
fixed Time Division Multiple Access (TDMA) network computer and software

systems.  Subsequently, he served as Manager for the INTELSAT VI TT&C
network project.  He later assumed responsibility for the Satellite
Switched
TDMA project and worked as Program Manager through the implementation of
the
World's first commercial SSTDMA network.

        A Swedish national, Mr. Kullman received his M.S.E.E. degree
from Chalmers
University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden, in 1974.  Prior to joining

INTELSAT, he was a Senior System Design Engineer at SAAB Space AB in
Sweden,
specializing in real-time, fault-tolerant, on-board computer systems
used
for the Ariane launch vehicle, the experimental satellite EXOSAT, the
earth
resource satellite series SPOT and several Direct-to-Home (DTH)
broadcasting
satellites.

        INTELSAT owns and operates a global communications satellite
system.  With
1997 revenues of over US $960 million, the INTELSAT system provides
voice/data and video services to customers around the world.

*PanAmSat transmits more than 15,000 hours of World Cup coverage for
> broadcasters in 25+ countries.
>
> GREENWICH, Conn., July 14, 1998 - PanAmSat (R) Corporation today
announced
> that it had transmitted more than 15,000 hours of World Cup Soccer
> coverage to viewers in more than 25 countries. The company also
> transmitted the Three Tenors' Eiffel Tower concert which began the
> celebrations leading up to the World Cup finale. PanAmSat transmitted
> these events with satellite capacity aboard its global spacecraft
fleet,
> the deployment of 13 mobile uplink facilities and its exclusive
production
> and transmission facilities for both rights and non-rights holders.
>
> "This event offered PanAmSat the opportunity to showcase not just our
> global satellite capabilities, but also our technical know-how and
> dedication to customer service," said Michael Antonovich, vice
president,
> broadcast services. "We provided unique and versatile video
distribution
> offerings such as three 5:1 mobile multiple-channel-per-carrier
platforms,
> 45 megabits-per-second digital video transmission and ATM over
satellite
> capabilities."
>
> Throughout the event, broadcasters and news agencies accessed
PanAmSat's
> PAS-1, PAS-3 and PAS-5 Atlantic Ocean Region satellites and the PAS-4
> Indian Ocean Region satellite for World Cup footage distribution to
the
> Americas, Asia and Europe. Customers were also able to reach soccer
fans
> throughout the Pacific Rim via a signal turnaround through PanAmSat's
> Napa, Calif., teleport facility and the PAS-2 Pacific Ocean Region
> satellite.
>
> In addition to World Cup soccer coverage, broadcasters from Taiwan to
the
> Caribbean island nation of Trinidad and Tobago received footage of the

> Three Tenors concert via PanAmSat satellites. The event took place at
the
> historic Champs de Mars in front of the Eiffel Tower on Friday, July
10,
> 1998. An estimated 20 broadcasters from 19 different countries
throughout
> Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean downlinked the feed from
PanAmSat's
> PAS-2 satellite as well as the PAS-3  and PAS-5 satellites.
>
> PanAmSat (NASDAQ: SPOT) is the world's leading commercial provider of
> satellite-based communications services. The company operates a global

> network of 16 satellites supported by PanAmSat professionals on five
> continents. These resources enable PanAmSat to provide video and
> telecommunications services to hundreds of customers worldwide.
>
> PanAmSat resources and services include:
> *     The premier cable and broadcast television satellites in the
United
> States, Latin America, the Indian subcontinent and the Asia-Pacific;
> *     Satellite platforms for direct-to-home television services in
Latin
> America, South Africa, the Middle East, India and the United States;
> *     Live transmission services for news, sports and special events
> coverage worldwide; and
> *     Global satellite-based telecommunications services and Internet
> access.

PANAMSAT HOSTS FIRST-EVER TESTS
OF MULTIPLE HDTV SYSTEMS LIVE VIA SATELLITE
Top Broadcasters and HDTV Vendors Converge in Napa for Two-Day Forum

NAPA, Calif., July 14, 1998 - PanAmSat (R) Corporation (NASDAQ:SPOT)
today
> has convened more than a dozen top broadcasters and the leading
developers
> of high definition television (HDTV) technology in an unprecedented
live
> demonstration of multiple HDTV systems via satellite. During the
two-day
> forum, HDTV vendors are conducting tests of their HDTV systems from
> PanAmSat's Napa teleport over the PAS-2 Pacific Ocean Region
satellite.
> Broadcasters and programmers viewing the HDTV demonstrations include
CBS,
> Disney, HBO, NBC, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Turner Broadcasting,
> Univision and Viacom.
>
> "Since the early 1990s, PanAmSat has been the leader in digital
television
> services, first with the use of compressed digital video services for
> cable distribution worldwide and now with the delivery of HDTV via
> satellite for broadcasters and programmers in the United States," said

> Robert Bednarek, PanAmSat's senior vice president and chief technology

> officer. "This two-day demonstration is facilitating the practical
> implementation of HDTV technology and services in the United States."
>
> David P. Berman, PanAmSat's senior vice president of program
distribution,
> added: "PanAmSat is creating an important forum for broadcasters to
see
> HDTV in action, scrutinize system options and implement their HDTV
plans
> under the U.S. deadlines set by the Federal Communications Commission.

> Satellites are uniquely capable of supporting any configuration of
HDTV
> transmissions, and PanAmSat has unparalleled satellite resources to
make
> the delivery of HDTV a reality for broadcasters and programmers in the

> United States and around the world."
>
> HDTV vendors conducting system demonstrations are
Mitsubishi-Tektronix,
> NDS, NEC, Sony, Tiernan and Thompson. Each demo begins with high
> definition source material at a 1.5 gigabit per second data rate.
Using
> the vendor's HDTV system, the material is encoded into a post
production
> quality video signal at 45 megabits per second or distribution-quality

> video signal at 19.3 megabits per second. The video is then uplinked
from
> the Napa facility to PanAmSat's PAS-2 satellite in either the 1080I or

> 720P high definition formats. The satellite transmissions comply with
> MPEG-2/DVB, the latest international video standard for compressed
digital
> video services.
>
> The HDTV satellite transmissions are accessed again at Napa,
demodulated
> and decoded into HDTV format using the vendor's integrated
> receiver/decoder and displayed on a high definition television
monitor.
> PanAmSat is also providing bit error rate analysis to measure HDTV
> transmission quality.
>
> PanAmSat is the world's leading commercial provider of satellite-based

> communications services. The company operates a global network of 16
> satellites supported by PanAmSat professionals on five continents.
These
> resources enable PanAmSat to provide video and telecommunications
services
> to hundreds of customers worldwide.

(C) 1998 Neil Anthony Powell. a service provided by UK Satellite Control

Information is subject to change and/or may be incorrect.
protected by international copyright law.

All Material Copyright TELE-satellite International

[TELE-satellit Email Service|TELE-satellit ONLINE]