[Prev][Next][Index]

I am Back!

Well I haven't  been hiding under a rock and the aliens returned me for
credit  so I am here again.
I have been to the cable and satellite conference in Sydney and saw my
first ever digital receiver for terrestial tv.
It is a Panasonic brand in the usual dark grey colour and looks like most
other set top boxes. They tell me there is nothing inside the box, but, it
had a power plug that plugged into Australian outlets, there are four in
existence and it is priceless. I would like to have one for a museum I
could start up.(Original ideas that didn't quite make it.)
Digital terrestial tv is supposed to start in 2 years.
No more rumours or fact yet, I will write about that later along with other
snippets of info I have gathered.
Such as.....
What I found in NZ, apart from boiling mud and big hills.(They call them
mountains.)
They have Mt. Cook that you can't even climb it safely, you cant even put
an antenna tower on top as the mountain keeps falling down. We have Mt
Kosiusco in Australia and you can at least put a trig point on it and even
drive up there (by appiontment) and post letters there.Thats a mountain for
the people.You can go and visit it. About 7,000 feet in height I believe.
I am going to climb Mt. Everest when they get a walking track in and a Mc
Donalds at the top.

While on geography there is a s 3 to 4 signal coming from a satellite west
of Pas 4. It is Egyptian I think sound on 6.6 megs and analog Pal.

There are a few signals that have appeared while I was away so when I see
them I will tell you about them. Pas 2 has feeds in analog NTSC from Nagano
at very good strength on the same feed that WECTV the Baccarat channel was
using. This should return in a month or so I am told.

Another one that is confirmed and you probably know about it by now is 150
deg east.

	Just thought I'd let you know that at about 150east +/- there is
now a very strong pal station
on 4160+/- with audio 6.625. It is RTCI Indonesia. You may already know
about it.
It is the only picture on this bird I can find although there are still
some good strength blank c band
carriers. No ku stuff to be seen. You may like to let me know what bird it
is and it's official location.
CUL  Wayne Kilpatrick.
That is from Mt.Gambier in South Australia.

Here is some relevent information from ,
 http://www.satcodx.com/

Palapa C1 at 150.5E:  http://www.satcodx.com/palapac1.shtml
RCTI has started on 4,160 H, PAL/clear, 6,60 MHz.

Apstar 1 at 138E:  http://www.satcodx.com/apstar1.shtml
BBC World is on 4,195 V, MPEG-2/clear, SR 5800, FEC 3/4.
This I dont think we can see in Australia.

 Asiasat 2 at 100.5E:  http://www.satcodx.com/asia2.shtml
STAR News has started regular transmissions on 3,740 V, PAL/clear.
This is mostly an Indian news service.
WTN on Asiasat has gone conditional access as well over the past week.
I saw a demonstration of ZAK NET while I was in Sydney and if any of you
were at the Cable and Satellite Show I would like a contact for ZAK NET so
as I can give you some of the relavent info.
All I can say is that it looked good from a distance and I am looking
through my bits and pieces for info.
This applies to anyone who was there please pass the info on to others that
may be interested in this newsletter.
I had people who appreciated what litle I write so I will endeavour to get
more content.

Thaicom 3 at 78.5E:  http://www.satcodx.com/thai78.shtml
VTV 4 has moved from 3,610 H to 3,649 H, PAL/clear.
I have not seen it on this frequency yet.

A new mailing list for this part of the world is ts-asia and originates
from Japan.
If you want to know more about the North PACIFIC? and asia related
happenings this is a good place to start.
If you ever need to get in contact with the owner of the list or submit
contributions send email to
Martyn Williams <martyn@mars.dti.ne.jp>
I think he knew someone at the C&S conference because his most recent
newsletter was about Pas 2 and PanAmSat's SPOTbytes service leasing space
to internet providers.
This was in one of the papers at the conference last week.
 This gives ISP's transmission capacity on the PAS-2 Pacific Ocean Region
satellite and
access to the U.S. Internet backbone through PanAmSat's teleport in Napa,
California using T3 links something more than 40 megabits per second.
More when I find that relavent bit of info.
Well that will do for now and more geography next time.

Cheers for now,
Happy Viewing,
Bevin.
©Copyright February 1998 Bevin BODEN and Sat Australia.

[Other mailing lists]