[Prev][Next][Index]

SAT Observations 97.03.28

WELCOME TO SAT-MIDEAST !
A news release from Cairo, Egypt, located at 30.3 North - 31.15 East,
sponsored by TELE-SATELLIT INTERNATIONAL, SATCO-DX and TBS Internet.
WHAT YOU'LL FIND HERE:
- Satellite and Transponder Observations in C- and Ku-Band,
- Commented from the Middle Eastern perspective.
HOW TO CONTACT SAT-MIDEAST:
Send relevant infos, interesting news, and creative comments to :

		hcroom@intouch.com

Upon your request are forwarded messages kept anonymous.
THE HEADLINES IN THIS 97.03.28 REPORT:

- SHOWTIME Info
- MPEG on HB2 tp 53 ?
- Bits & Pieces

PANAMSAT 4, 68.5 East, http://www.satcodx.com/pas4.html
----------
The Showtime DStv Network has started with the transmission of detailed
program information behind the TV Guide of following channels:
Ch13: The Movie Channel, Ch14: Nickelodeon/Paramount, Ch15: TV Land,
Ch19: Style, and rudimentary on Ch20: The Discovery Channel (e.g. only a
very brief episode number is displayed).

The information can be obtained by pushing the "TV Guide" button on the
Remote Control, and thereafter the button labeled "I" or "Info". For a
few seconds the message appears saying "Acquiring detailed Information -
Press Info to Exit.

INTELSAT 703, 57 East, http://www.satcodx.com/i703.html
------------
The early morning transmissions on 3.920 GHz, Lc, carry an own logo in
the lower right corner of the screen and have a different channel
identity: EET, "Ethiopian Educational Television".

The transmissions on 3.856 GHz, Rc, were STAR TV Chinese in Mandarin,
formerly seen at Asiasat-2 on 3.766 GHz, with subcarriers on 6.30, 6.48,
6.80 MHz.
The test transmissions on Intelsat 703 have in between also ceased.
Last info's kindly submitted by Joris van Pelt.

TURKSAT 1C, 42 East, http://www.satcodx.com/t1c.html
----------
The B&W test card on transponder 3, 11.660 GHz, V, has been switched
off.

ARABSAT 2B, 31 East, http://www.satcodx.com/a2b.html
----------
Transponder 17, 4.085 GHz, Rc, was used for a transmission for LBC, with
a subcarrier on 6.60 MHz.

Yesterday RTM-1 had a transmission on transponder 15, 4.044 GHz, Rc,
using 6.65 MHz as the audio subcarrier.

HOT BIRD 2, 13 East, http://www.satcodx.com/hb2.html
----------
After the ceasure last night of Polonia 1 on transponder 53, 11.785 GHz,
H, a digital carrier could be observed on the same frequency and with
the same signal strength as the Polonia 1 transmissions.
An end of the test could not be followed, as it became just plain
bed-time (01:30 CET, 02:30 CAT).

Nature of the transmissions could not be determined, as still no FTA
receiver available in my line-up; better NOKIA equipment should be on
it's way.

EUTELSAT II-f4-M, 7 East, http://www.satcodx.com/e2f4.html
----------------
Transponder 27A, (EBU-W) 11.134 GHz, V, and transponder 27B, (EBU-Z)
11.163 GHz, V, are lately more and more in soletary use of the RAI for
their links, and rarely using SiS (Sound in Sync). On transponder 27A,
can during off air time often a blue band testcard be observed.

SAT-MidEast Intern
-----------
In my Easter wishes from 97.03.27, I did miss out the Russian Coptic
Christians, and was told so a few times... Believe me, it was
unintentional.

Russia celebrates "Afaik" this year on Sunday, April 27, one day prior
to the Arabic "Sham El Nessim" festivities, which is always celebrated
on a Monday. Happy Feast !

Best regards,

Henk C. Room / Sat-MidEast / Cairo - Egypt

SAT-MidEast maintains a homepage with all relevant Middle Eastern
satellite information, e.g. receivable satellites, their positions,
future satellites, foot print maps, latest news, broadcaster info's,
broadcaster's addresses, explanation of technical terms in analogue
and digital TV reception, interesting Internet links, and a regular
updated, satellite based, archive of all observations and messages
released since the start of SAT-MidEast on November 5, 1996.

         SAT-MidEast: http://www.sat-net.com/sat-mideast/

TAKE A LOOK FOR MORE INFO AT THE SPONSORS INTERNET PAGES:

- TELE-SATELLIT INTERNATIONAL: http://www.tele-satellit.com/
- SATCO-DX: http://www.satcodx.com/
- The Satellite Encyclopedia: http://www.tele-satellit.com/tse/

[Other mailing lists]