This service is sponsored by
TELE-satellite
EUROPES SATELLITE MAGAZINE
http://www.tele-satellite.com

Editor for TS:
Marc Ruenger
eMail: MRuenger@aol.com
http://members.aol.com/mruenger/sat-tv.htm

ALL MATERIAL PROVIDED HERE IS FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION ONLY, AND MAY NOT BE
USED FOR ANY COMERCIAL REASONS, WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION FROM THE EDITOR.

- ASIAN TELEVISION

John Liddell
writes
>A friend has been told of another asian satellite tv channel
>broadcasting from Orion 1, he asked me to confirm this
>I knew asianet was there but had gone digital.
>Has it returned or another channel started, or is this untrue?
>I can't check myself as my dish is down for moving.
>Thanks in advance.

I have seen the Indian Apna TV, uplinked from London, transmitting test
programmes on the analogue transponder 3, 12.665 GHz/V. The broadcasts
had/have a large caption superimposed over the picture, making it hard
to view, although being of long-play VHS quality, it's pretty hard to
view anyway!

As Orion is due to cease analogue useage on Orion 1 at the end of this
year, I doubt if this will be Apnas' permanent home.

As you said, Asianet is still on Orion 1, but it is now a digital feed.
Andy.

- SKY XSESS ???

David Parkinson wrote:

: SKY's (or rather NDC's) control protocol is actually quite
: clever as, unlike the Eurocrypt approach, the new seed values
: are piggy backed on control messages.  All a 'dumb' blocker can
: do is block all messages - so no viewing!

I thought that the ISO card protocol easily told if a message from the
decoder
to the card was expecting a reply and only a certain fraction of messages
(say 1 in 5) replied with seed values. Surely filtering out the others
would be some help (but would only delay switch off messages).

: >5) Is it not the case that in the transition period between, say, 0A and
: >0B, when both cards are valid, is this not a security hole? could it
: >possibly be exploited????

I wondered about this as well. I guess that they must have thought of the
fact
that an 0A card could be reactivated by sending it valid commands for its
09 emulation mode.

[Other mailing lists]